Monday, July 13, 2009

Another update ...

We called our lawyer first thing this morning, only to learn he is in court all day (now Friday afternoon we were told to call him first thing Monday). So we decided we'd just call the lady at DHS ourselves to get the ball rolling. If you recall, we were told on Friday that DHS sets a hearing within five days and it would be at that hearing we would get Hunter. Come to find out, we can go ahead and apply for foster parent status, they will go ahead and do the home study, and that will speed the process up. Then they called and said they didn't have "probable cause" to take Hunter from Lindsey (remember, he had a fractured skull, where's the probable cause in that???) and if she wasn't in the psych ward (another issue - she decided she has "postpartum depression" and was talking about suicide, so they put her in a 72-hour hold at the psych hospital - actually probably just trying to set some kind of defense for the fractured skull, that and the good psych drugs you get regardless of the fact she's supposed to be in drug rehab), but they said when Lindsey gets out of there she will get Hunter back. Kenny talked to Lindsey and she agreed to let me and Kenny keep Hunter until she gets out of drug rehab, which she has about five months left. But then Tracy talked to the police that are investigating the incident causing the fractured skull and he said they are definitely still investigating and doesn't know why DHS would say they are giving him back to Lindsey, but he is going to call them and tell them that's not what's going to happen.

So anyway, we were told this morning they are going to run our background checks and then come out and do the home study and bring Hunter to us. She sounded like it would be today. But since it's after 9:00 p.m., I'm guessing it's not going to be today. It may have gotten pushed back because of the police calling and now they have to figure out what they are going to do again. Perhaps the phone call to the police investigator should have waited until after Hunter got taken out of God-only-knows house and put in ours! He's already been in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people for 7 days now ... in his third week of life ... poor little baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment