Sunday, June 28, 2009

Convenience?

Yesterday morning I was doing my typical Saturday morning housework and I realized something. As I dusted my living room with my I-thought-was-so-nifty swiffer duster, I thought "gee, this is supposed to be done by Jennifer throughout the week," but I think she must be thinking, "it really is so difficult to use this duster contraption, man it takes 2 whole minutes to do the living room if I do it the way Mom wants it done, ugh I get so tired of hearing 'if you're going to do something you might as well do it right, cause if you do it half-ass then you're gonna have to do it again." But you know, when I was young we didn't have those nifty little swiffer dusters. Then when I opened the dishwasher I had to unload the dirty dishes, that Jennifer had loaded, and reload them so I could fit the two sink full of dishes that wouldn't fit because the way Jennifer loaded it, and I thought "I know I told her a zillion times how to load a dishwasher," but I think Jennifer must be thinking, "loading this dishwasher is so freaking hard, why can't Mom just run the dishwasher with three glasses, two plates and a humongous bowl in it? Ugh I get so tired of hearing 'if you're going to do something you might as well do it right, cause if you do it half-ass then you're gonna have to do it again.'" But you know, when I was young we didn't have those nifty dishwashers, we had to wash them all by hand, and not this once a day crap, we washed, dryed and put up the dishes immediately after every meal and then some. Then as I sweep and mop the floor with my nifty little swiffer mop, I think, "gee I thought Jennifer is supposed to be doing this throughout the week." But I think Jennifer must be thinking, "it really is so difficult to use this contraption that makes me push a button and push around all with one hand, why can't Mom just do it herself if she wants it done right? Ugh, I get so tired of hearing, 'if you're going to do something you might as well do it right, cause if you do it half-ass then you're gonna have to do it again." But you know, when I was young we didn't have those nifty little swiffer mops, we used those old-timey mops, not even the sponge mop that has the handy little squeezer built on, that we had to rinse over and over and squeeze out with our hand, and it took at least an hour to do a little bitty kitchen. What about when I cooked dinner without a microwave? Or cleaned the bathroom without the cleaners and contraptions that require no scrubbing or even touching? Or when I vacuumed with a vacuum cleaner that weighs 200 pounds and requires the bag to be changed? What about when I actually HAD to do my chores before I could talk on the phone, the same phone that I shared with my two sisters, or before I could go outside to visit with the neighborhood kids (now there's a concept - actually going outside LOL) - the same chores that had to be done day after day with no complaining or griping. I know our children get tired of hearing "when I was young," but, really, what would they do without all the conveniences we have now? What happened to the days when children did what they were told to do without being told a zillion times, just because they knew they were supposed to do it and there was no question in their mind about it? I mean, come on, I am not that old, it really wasn't that long ago.

2 comments:

  1. ROFLMAO!!!! This one is hilarious!

    -From your other daughter who also hated doing chores, though she remembers HAVING to have them done before she could go ANYWHERE else, so I just had my friends come over and help me out. hee hee. I also remember you buying me a vaccuum cleaner and paging me (yes, back when there were no cell phones) with a 911 page just to come home and tear into a big present....only to find that in it. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to pull something like that on Jennifer!!!!! And Jennifer actually deserves it ...

    ReplyDelete